Funding is needed to support the addition of a fourth hydroelectric generating unit at the Pine Flat Powerhouse to expand renewable energy sources in California’s Central Valley.
Click HERE for Unit 4 Backgrounder.
OVERVIEW: We are dedicated to improving reliability of the electrical grid in the Valley by adding local generation capacity. The Jeff L. Taylor Pine Flat Power Plant has continued to provide a reliable carbon-free supply of energy since 1984, and with the addition of Unit 4 will provide a renewable supply of energy for California’s future growth.
UNIT 4 IMPROVES AND EXPANDS RELIABILITY OF CLEAN & RENEWABLE ENERGY
- The smaller Unit 4 will capture water flows available at the power plant during low-level flows. Existing units need high flows to generate power, meaning low-level flows are not currently utilized for energy generation.
- The annual energy generation supports Renewable Portfolio Standard needs of key CA water infrastructure conveyance projects
- At 6 MW capacity it is considered renewable energy in California
- No environmental or recreation impacts expected
- No change to existing water hydraulics
UNIT 4 PROJECT NEED & STATUS
FUNDING NEED: $15.6 million
TIMELINE: January 2022 – January 2024
STATUS: Initial conceptual design completed. Permitting & FERC licensing process in progress.